MITx MicroMasters Terms of Service
Welcome to the MITx MicroMasters website (the “Site”). By accessing this Site, users agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions which MIT may revise at any time. Users are encouraged to visit this page periodically to review current terms and conditions, as your continued use of this Site signifies your agreement to these term and conditions. If you do not understand or do not agree to be bound by these terms and conditions, please exit this Site immediately.
- Your use of this Site is entirely voluntary. This Site is designed to assist and facilitate your successful attainment of the MITx MicroMasters credential, but use of this Site is not required in order to participate in the MITx MicroMasters program. These terms and conditions govern your use of this Site alone. When enrolled in specific MITx courses, all users must adhere to the edX terms of service, including its Honor Code, which are available at https://www.edx.org/edx-terms-service.
- MIT respects your privacy. We do not collect personally identifiable information about you unless you voluntarily provide it. Our primary aim in collecting personally identifiable information is to provide you with the best educational experience possible. By "personally identifiable information," we are referring to (1) data that uniquely identifies you or permits us to contact you, such as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number; (2) other information that we collect through the Site and combine and maintain in combination with that personally identifiable information, such as your area of interest; educational and employment background; and (3) your participation and progress in MITx courses and your online education. Among other things, MIT may use the personally identifiable information that you provide to respond to your questions; provide you the specific courses and/or services you select; send you updates about courses and information, including specifically the MITx MicroMasters program and information about MIT events; send you information about Site maintenance or updates; and for all appropriate MIT administrative and research purposes. Except as set forth herein or as specifically agreed to by you, MIT will not disclose any personally identifiable information we gather from you on the Site to any third parties. By logging into this Site through your edX account, you acknowledge and understand that personally identifiable information will be shared by edX with MIT and may be used by MIT to facilitate your use of this Site. In addition, please note that your education records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA") to the extent FERPA applies.
- Comments or other information posted by you to our forums, boards or other areas of the Site designed for public communications or communications among class members may be viewed and downloaded by others and are available to MIT faculty and staff for research and administrative purposes. For this reason, we encourage you to use discretion when deciding to post in these forums.
You agree to use the Site in accordance with all applicable laws. You are responsible for
your own communications, including the upload, transmission and posting of information, and are
responsible for the consequences of their posting on or through the Site. You further agree that
you will not email or post malicious or harmful content anywhere on the Site, or on any other MIT
computing resources including without limitation the following:
- Content that defames or threatens others.
- Harassing statements or content that violates federal or state law.
- Content that discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them.
- Content that is not your own, or infringes another’s intellectual property including, but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks or trade secrets.
- Material that contains obscene (i.e. pornographic) language or images.
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation or promotion, including links to other sites.
- Content that is otherwise unlawful.
- Intentionally incomplete, misleading or inaccurate content.
- "MIT", "Massachusetts Institute of Technology", and its logos and seal are trademarks of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Except for purposes of attribution, you may not use MIT’s names or logos, or any variations thereof, without prior written consent of MIT. You may not use the MIT name in any of its forms nor MIT seals or logos for promotional purposes, or in any way that deliberately or inadvertently claims, suggests, or in MIT’s sole judgment gives the appearance or impression of a relationship with or endorsement by MIT.
- NEITHER MIT, ITS AFFILIATES, TRUSTEES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, COMPENSATORY, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (EVEN IF MIT HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE USE OF THE SITE, CONTENT, AND/OR COMPILATION.
- You agree to defend, hold harmless and indemnify MIT, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and employees from and against any third-party claims, actions or demands arising out of, resulting from or in any way related to your use of the Site, including any liability or expense arising from any and all claims, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys’ fees, of every kind and nature. In such a case, MIT will provide you with written notice of such claim, suit or action.
- These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between you and MIT with respect to your use of the Site, superseding any prior agreements between you and MIT regarding your use of the Site. The failure of MIT to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the terms and conditions shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the terms and conditions is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the terms and conditions remain in full force and effect.
- You agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to these terms and conditions or any content posted to a Site will be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, excluding its conflicts of law provisions. You further consent to the personal jurisdiction of and exclusive venue in the federal and state courts located in and serving Boston, Massachusetts as the legal forum for any such dispute.