MicroMasters Program in
Data, Economics, and Development Policy
Grapple with some of the world’s most pressing problems from a rigorous, data-driven perspective.
MIT’s Department of Economics and the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) designed the MicroMasters® program credential in Data, Economics, and Development Policy (DEDP) to equip learners with the practical skills and theoretical knowledge to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing developing countries and the world’s poor. Through a series of five online courses and proctored exams, learners will gain a strong foundation in microeconomics, development economics, and probability and statistics, while engaging with cutting-edge research in the field.
The program is unique in its focus on designing and running randomized evaluations to assess the effectiveness of social programs and its emphasis on hands-on skills in data analysis. The methodologies for alleviating global poverty covered in these courses are taught by Esther Duflo and Abhijit Banerjee, winners of the 2019 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences and pioneers in the field of development economics.
To earn the DEDP MicroMasters program credential, learners complete three core courses (Microeconomics, Data Analysis for Social Scientists, and Designing and Running Randomized Evaluations) and two of three electives (The Challenges of Global Poverty, Foundations of Development Policy, and Political Economy and Economic Development) online and pass their corresponding proctored exams on edX. The five courses can be taken in any sequence, and the curriculum gives learners the flexibility to choose which electives they take. Learners who receive the MicroMasters program credential will then be eligible to apply to MIT’s new Master's program in Data, Economics, and Development Policy. If accepted, students will earn MIT credit for the MicroMasters program courses, and will be able to pursue an accelerated on-campus Master’s degree at MIT.
How the DEDP MicroMasters Program works
The cost of courses in this program varies depending on your ability to pay. You can start by auditing classes for free and upgrade at a later point. Learn more about course pricing, or simply go to your MicroMasters program dashboard to enter your income and calculate your own course price.
Annual Household Income:
- $0 - $25,000 : $100 USD per course
- $25,000 - $50,000: $250 USD per course
- $50,000 - $75,000: $500 USD per course
- Over $75,000: $1,000 USD per course
Who should enroll?
- Policymakers and practitioners from governments, NGOs, international aid agencies, foundations, and other entities in the development sector
- Academics and evaluators looking to re-tool and apply data-driven perspectives to social and development programs
- Students interested in pursuing admissions to graduate programs in development economics, public policy, political science, or related fields
- Social entrepreneurs, managers and researchers in the development sector
What you will learn
- To identify and analyze the root causes of underdevelopment using principles of economics
- To interpret the findings of empirical research that evaluates the effectiveness of anti-poverty strategies, policies, and interventions
- Practical knowledge on how to design and implement rigorous randomized evaluations and other econometric methods of evaluating policies and programs
- Tools of comparative cost-effectiveness analysis for informed policy-making
- Fundamentals of microeconomics, development economics, probability, and statistics
- Hands-on skills in data analysis using the R programming language
Have questions about the DEDP program?
Register here to attend this live webinar on February 15, 2021, and receive an on-demand recording of the presentation once it is complete. In this 60-minute engaging and interactive webinar, you will:
- Learn more about DEDP courses.
- Hear why you should consider joining the MicroMasters program.
- Find out how MicroMasters courses could bring you to MIT for a blended master's degree.
- Get real-time answers to your questions.
- Hear about the exclusive benefits for learners who upgrade to the MicroMasters track.
Future Courses Dates
Courses delivered on